Name:
Location: Weaverville, North Carolina, United States

Sunday, April 22, 2007

Admitted to Hospice Solace Facility

Friday morning we went to Victoria Urology and met with Calvin's urologist, Dr. Sech. With Calvin's urinary tract infection Dr. Sech was hesitant to do the super pubic catheter insertion for fear of spreading the infection to other areas of Calvin's body. He wanted to try to put into place a regular Foley catheter and would do it at the hospital with Calvin sedated under anesthesia. Great, that was what Calvin preferred from the start. So that was what was done. I had only been in the waiting room about 30 minutes when Dr. Sech came to talk to me. He had no problem getting it in, and he did a good irrigation and flushing out of the bladder as well. Calvin took a little longer that 'normal' to wake up, but as soon as he did he was ready to get dressed and get back home. It was late afternoon, and he slept well. Allison and her friend Mark were picked up from college by friends and arrived late Friday night.

Saturday morning, as Calvin was standing beside the bed, he suddenly fell backwards. He did not hurt himself, but did break a floor lamp. I was able to get him up off of the floor and back to sitting on the bed. After checking him over, he really did not get hurt anywhere. Allison brought in the wheel chair that we had borrowed from a neighbor. We felt safer with him not trying to walk. As I cooked breakfast Calvin sat comfortably at the dining room table. He ate a good breakfast, then wanted to get into his recliner in the living room. He quickly fell asleep.

I called Hospice Home Care and requested that a nurse come by. His breathing had been getting worse since Thursday and was still not good. He was also becoming more and more confused and disoriented, his fall seemed to indicate that he had become weaker and I wanted to talk about possible Solace Care. When the nurse came she checked his vitals then tried to talk to Calvin, but he was totally unresponsive. None of us could wake him up. Also Calvin's legs and feet were a little swollen. So it was decided to admit him for observation and evaluation of his current status and abilities. The nurse made several phone calls to get this all set up as we tried to get Calvin to respond to us. After a while an ambulance arrived to transport Calvin, and as the attendants came through the front door, Calvin finally opened his eyes. It had been about 3 or 4 hours of being unresponsive. I talked to him to try to explain what was happening, but I am not sure how much he understand.

So Calvin is at Solace, which is off of Sweeten Creek Road in Asheville, in room 112. A doctor checked him over as well as a couple of nurses and got him settled in and comfortable. He slept more, but did wake up enough to eat his supper. A little later I gave him some chocolate cake that I had brought from home. He could not control the fork in his hand so had a hard time feeding himself. I helped him. Also when he received a phone call, I handed him my cell phone, but he could not hold it in his hand, or bring it up to his ear, so Allison held it for him. Later that evening as we were leaving, after we woke him up, he did not recognize Allison right away, but did when she got close enough to him. I learned today that he had a restful night.

This morning we went to church then over to Solace so Allison could see Calvin again before she was taken back to college. Calvin slept most of the time, and we are not sure if he knew we were even there. Allison and Mark were taken back to college, but Allison is being driven right back home again tonight. She didn't want to go back to school, because she wants to be with her dad, so she is bringing all her college books back home with her. She will try to contact each of her teachers to see if they with work out someway for her to get her assignments done and to do them from home here. This is the last week of college classes coming up April 23-27. Then the next week is finals. That will need to get worked out somehow as well. I spent most of the day at Solace, coming home for some supper, and to walk the dogs. It is only 12 miles from home. I left around 11Pm, and Calvin was asleep. He made no signs of knowing that I was telling him goodbye. Allison and I will be back in the morning.

2 Comments:

Blogger Juanita said...

Donna, this is Juanita Smith from the Annex. I have known Calvin since 1997 when I started working in the stockroom and here at the Annex. I have always enjoyed talking with him and love his dry sense of humor. I want you to know that my thoughts and prayers are with you. Late last year he asked me about my ordeal with my bout of colon cancer. I told him of the 5 follow-up surgeries related to the original one. He then told me he was "lucky" in that he didn't have to go thru that. All I could think of was the fact that they got all of mine--it was operatable whereas his is not and is eventually terminal. I did not consider that "lucky." He will be deeply and sorely missed in all aspects--his humor and his brilliant mind here at work. I think of him often especially since i live just 2 miles from you. May God Bless you and your family and may He give you comfort in your need.

11:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Donna, Please know that you, Allison, and Calvin are never far from our thoughts and prayers. Jim has such a great fondness and terrific respect for Calvin, and we are so sorry for your family that you have to face this. We will continue to pray for strength for you and Allison, and a peaceful passing for Calvin. May you find comfort in the friends that love you all.

Anna and Jim Skamarakas

10:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home